Sunday, 28 June 2009

Celebrating public service heroes

Yesterday I joined millions around the country - and hundreds in Brighton - in commemorating the first Armed Forces Day.

For me the events were a perfect backdrop for thinking about the remarkable sacrifice made by so many in the struggles against fascism and for peace and stability.

The noblest of aims, perhaps, and I salute those who have given up so much in their pursuit, especially men like 113-year-old Ovingdean resident Henry Allingham, who served in both world wars and has been an informal ambassador for peace ever since.

For Sammy, it was a lovely day out complete with parachutes - trucks and even tanks. Five-year-old boy stuff.

I'm looking forward to next year already: and I hope the powers that be will extend the commemoration to all public sector workers who give so much, and sometimes risk life itself, to make our lives a little easier.

1 comment:

  1. Hello,
    Its a really good work..After skimming through your website I immediately bookmarked it. Thanks a lot for sharing

    ReplyDelete